Triyuginarayan temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is present in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. The word ‘tri’ means ‘Three’, ‘Yug’ means ‘a period of time’, and ‘Narayan’ is a name for Lord Vishnu. Devotees offer wood to the fireplace of the temple since three Yugas.
Moreover, the temple is present at an elevation of 1980 metres, 3.1 miles away from Sonprayag, which is the confluence of river Mandakini and Songanga. The name “Akhand Dhuni temple” also originates from the eternal flame legend, “Akhand” means perpetual and “Dhuni” means flame. It is a part of the holy pilgrimage Destinations in Uttarakhand.
- What is the history of Triyuginarayan Temple?
- What is the significance of Triyuginarayan Temple?
- What are the timings of Triyuginarayan Temple?
- What are the festivals celebrated at Triyuginarayan Temple?
- How to reach Triyuginarayan Temple?
- Where to stay near Triyuginarayan Temple?
- What are some temples near Triyuginarayan Temple?
What is the history of Triyuginarayan Temple?
There is a story related to the history of Triyuginarayan temple. According to it, Triyuginarayan was the capital of Himavat, where the marriage of Shiva and Sati took place at the Brahmashila. There is a agni-kund in front of the temple, in the presence of which, the wedding took place.
Before the marriage, they took bath in three pools- Rudra kund, Brahma kund and Vishnu kund.According to the scripture, pilgrims who visit this temple consider the ashes from the burning fire as holy and carry it with them. It is also believed that ashes from this fire are supposed to promote conjugal bliss. The inflow into the three kunds is from the Saraswati-kund. Beliefs say that Adi Shankaracharya built the temple.
What is the significance of Triyuginarayan Temple?
The significance of Triyuginarayan Temple is that it is also popular as Akhand Dhuni temple due to the presence of an eternally burning flame near the temple. ‘Akhand’ means ‘Perpetual’ and ‘Dhuni’ means ‘Dhuni’. The temple is also a source of a water stream which fills kunds (water pools) nearby.
Triyuginarayan temple resembles Kedarnath temple in architecture and has a 2-feet high image of Lord Vishnu along with his consort, Goddess Lakshmi, as well as Goddess Saraswati. Devotees also add samidha (sacrificial offerings of wood) to the eternal flame in front of the temple and collect the ashes as blessings.
What are the timings of Triyuginarayan Temple?
Here are the timings of Triyuginarayan Temple:
What are the festivals celebrated at Triyuginarayan Temple?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Triyuginarayan Temple are:
- Navratri: Navratri or goddess Durga defeated the demon king Mahishasura to save the world and also restore Dharma. Celebrations include stage decorations, recital of the legend, enacting of the story as well as chanting of the scriptures of Hinduism. It is also celebrated in Mansa Devi Temple and Chandi Devi Temple (A part of the Char Dham Yatra). Take a look navratri 2018 colours with date. is celebrated as a symbol of victory of good over evil. As per legend,
How to reach Triyuginarayan Temple?
Here’s how to reach Triyuginarayan temple:
- Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant (244 km) which is located at Dehradun.
- Train: The nearest railway station is Rishikesh (261 km away from the temple).
- Road: The temple is 12 km away from Sonprayag which connects well to other places by road. One can also access the temple by trekking.
Where to stay near Triyuginarayan Temple?
Some of the places where one can stay near Triyuginarayan temple while undertaking the Char Dham Yatra are:
- Shivalik Valley Resorts, Kedarnath: The hotel accords technology-laden business centres which will meet all your business needs efficiently. For those looking to take it easy after a tiring day, the hotel also has a lounge/ bar for you to unwind. Guests can request for a non-smoking room if they wish to do so as the hotel offers separate rooms for their convenience.
- Kedar River Retreat , Gaurikund: The hotels offers facilities such as Wi-Fi, Spa, parking, restaurant, as well as laundry.
What are some temples near Triyuginarayan Temple?
Some of the temples near Triyuginarayan Temple are:
- Kedarnath Temple: It is one of the twelve Jyotirlinga’s of Lord Shiva (Know more about them here). Moreover, Adi Shankaracharya constructed the temple in the 8th century A.D. Some of the places to visit near Kedarnath are Gandhi Sarovar, Vasuki Tal, Gaurikund, Sonprayag, Triyuginarayan, Agastyamuni Temple as well as Deoria Tal.
- Chandi Devi Temple, Haridwar: Chandi Devi Temple present atop the neel parvat in Haridwar, Uttarakhand is in the honour of Goddess Chandi. The temple is also one of the panch teerth present in Haridwar. The presiding deity, Chandi or Chandika is a form of Goddess Parvati and also exists in close association with Mansa devi.
- Mansa Devi Temple, Haridwar: Mansa Devi Temple is a Hindu temple for goddess Mansa, on top of Bilwa Parvat in Haridwar, Uttarakhand. Also popular as ‘Bilwa Tirth’, this temple is among the panch tirth within Haridwar. Also, ‘Mansa’ means ‘wish’ and it is a popular belief among the devotees that the goddess fulfils their wishes. Mansa Devi Temple and Chandi Devi Temple are also a part of the Char Dham Yatra within Uttarakhand.