Thila Homam: A Tribute to Dead Souls With Unusual Death
- 1 Thila Homam: A Tribute to Dead Souls With Unusual Death
Thila Homam is a powerful and beneficial Homam; done for the peace of souls of the ancestors who died unnaturally. The mantras are chanted in a ceremony for souls that had died an unusual death. These unusual death may be because of:
- poisonous bite of deadly creatures
- premature death
- killed by strangling the neck or weapons
- died at time of delivery or/and
- left home due to madness
In all above cases, the dead soul awaits desperately to become free from the evil powers or hell.
It is believed that these souls are haunting or roaming in space and thus the Shastras advice the Thila Homam as a remedy to give the soul peace and to relieve it from negative forces. The Homam helps the soul find its way to rebirth or such a soul is sent back to the lotus feet of God.
Who Should Perform Thila Homam?
The following people should perform the Homam:
- Someone whose ancestors died unnaturally.
- Someone with intense problems due to powerful enemies.
- Someone whose forefathers have not achieved peace because of the evil deeds they did during their lifespan.
- Someone with Pitra Dosha (Ancestor Dosha).
- Someone who has not performed Shradhh ceremony for ancestors.
- Someone whose forefathers are causing unhappiness in their lives like delaying in settling down in a job, late marriage, delayed child birth, disobedient children or children giving troubles or suffer ailments, disharmony with family members and between couples, more unwanted expenditure then income, have legal proceedings and often occurrence of accidents.
Benefits of Performing Thila Homam
- It helps in providing relief to the dead souls and protects them from the clutches of hell.
- It helps in driving away the sufferings of the dead souls.
- It provides immediate relief from the unexplained sufferings and worries.
- It brings good wishes and blessings for a happy, healthy and unhindered successful life from these alleviated souls.
When Should I Perform Thila Homam?
The Homam can be performed in Mahalayam that is an annual ritual celebrated 15 days before Navaratri. It is known as the Shradhha Paksh in most of India.
How to Perform Thila Homam?
The priests at Rameshwaram perform the Thila Homam by following the Vedic customs to dispose-of the challenges emerging because of Pitra Dosha.
- The relatives of the departed soul perform the Homam.
- The major ritual involves offering the Bali Tharpanam to the ancestors in a Vedic ceremony while chanting the mantras.
- Next, the homam samagri is offered to the Agni while chanting mantras and it mainly involves the offering of ‘Til’ or ‘Elu’.
All the above rituals should be performed by the learned Tamil Brahmans of the Ramanatha Swami Temple, Rameshvaram, Sri Parasurama Temple, Thiruvananthpuram, Janardhana Swami Temple Varkala or the Thinaavaya Temple, Malappuram.
Materials Required For Thila Homam
The major ingredients of the Thila Homam are sesame seeds or ‘Til’ or ‘Ellu’, Homam or Havan samagri and all the holy materials that need to be offered to the Agni Dev or the Holy fire while chanting mantras.
Where to Perform Thila Homam?
This Homam needs to be performed at the Sethusheera or Rameshwaram which is the most auspicious and powerful place for the Homam. The relatives of the dead visit to the Rameshwaram on the banks of Thambaraparani river at Azhwarthirunagari. The Homam is performed and the ashes of the dead are mixed in holy sea water as it is believed according to the Vedas that the soul of the dead will rest in peace or will get salvation only at this spot.
The ritual is performed once in lifetime unlike other death ceremonies those are performed annually or monthly. The new moon rituals can be performed regularly like any other auspicious Homa or Pooja but not the Thila Homam.
Cost of Performing Thila Homam
The major costs of the Thila Homam are that of the ingredients for the Homam and the Dakshana for the priests. The ingredients cost somewhere between Rs. 2000/- to Rs. 3000/-. So, the total cost of the Homam is less than Rs. 10,000/-. However since the Homam is performed at the temple, then there could be an additional fees to be paid at the temple.