Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple is at a distance of 13 km from Lord Hanuman and is also famous as “Suchindram Lord Anjaneyar Temple ” which indicates to the trinity, worship of three Gods – Lord Brahma, Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu.. This is for
“Sthanu” means Siva; “Mal” means Vishnu; and the “Aya” means Brahma. Moreover, the word Suchindram comes from Sanskrit meaning ‘purify’.
- What is the history of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- What is the significance of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- What are the timings of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- Which festivals are celebrated at Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- How to reach Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- Where to stay near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
- What are some temples near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
What is the history of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
Built during the 17th century the Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple boasts an interesting history. Also, the Namboodiris, one of the main Namboodiri families called the Thekkumon Madam previously controlled it. It is a belief that Lord Shiva stayed at Suchindram Temple when Devi came for self-punishment at Kanyakumari.
Lord Indra, the king of Devas also got rid of His curse by worshiping the Lingam at this . And hence devotees believe that Lord Indra visit this temple everyday to worship Lord Shiva. The temple also has a huge appeal to Vaishnavites and Saivites all over India.
What is the significance of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
The significance of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple is that the statue of Lord Hanuman stands majestically at a height of 22 feet, which is carved of a single block of granite. Moreover, the representation of the three central gods of Hinduism in one linga makes it unique in India.
Devotees also believe that Lord Hanuman hid underground at this temple in 1740 to protect it from the attack by Tipu Sultan, a ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore.
There are four musical pillars carved out of a single stone, and which stand at 18 feet (5.5 m) in height; these are an architectural and design highlight of the temple grounds.
The gopuram has been carved with Ramayana and Mahabharatha stories by using herbal ink.
Goddess Aram Valartha Nayaki, Indra Vinayaka, Kala Bhairava and Saakahi Ganapathy are also present here. Inscriptions date from the 9th century are found in this temple making it more ethnic in its core.
The dancing hall of this temple contains an additional 1035 pillars filled with wonderful carvings.
What are the timings of Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
Here are the timing so f Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple:
|Morning Darshan||4:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|Evening Darshan||5 PM||8:30 PM|
|Abhisheka for moola lingam||4:15 a.m.|
|Abhisheka for Thanumalayan||4:15 a.m|
|daily pooja||5:30 a.m.|
|Abhisheka pooja||6:30 a.m.|
|Mistanga pooja||7:15 a.m.|
|Ucchikala pooja||11:00 a.m.|
Which festivals are celebrated at Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple are:
- The Avani festival takes place at August.
- The Masi festival takes place at March.
- Marghazi festival is an important one and takes place for two months at December and January.
- Chiththirai festival takes place at April.
How to reach Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
Here’s how to reach Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple:
- Air: Thiruvanathapuram International airport is the nearest airport 70 km away from the temple.
- Rail: Nagercoil junction located at a distance of 3 km from the temple is the nearest station where regular trains are available.
- Road: Buses ply from places such as Thirunelveli, Kanyakumari and Trivandram.
Where to stay near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
Some of the places where one can stay near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple are:
- Pioneer Grand Palace is roughly 7 km from Parakkai Lake and 1 km from Vadasery Bus Stand. The property in Nagercoil is a budget accommodation offering free buffet breakfast and great atmosphere.
- Hotel Reech at 57 Court Road, Nagercoil is another suitable place to check in.
What are some temples near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple?
The world famous Arulmigu Bhagavathyamman Temple is near Suchindram Thanumalayan Temple. It is an important temple near Nagercoil – colachel State highway in Mandaikadu. During the month of Masi, people from all over India come here to celebrate the famous Kodai vizha festival.
Arulmigu Bhagavathyamman Temple is at the confluence of three seas of India’s South Corner.
Parasuram constructed the temple 3000 years ago and then one of the kings of the Pandya Dynasty renovated it. Devotees believe that Goddess Bhagavathy stood here as a spinster and she killed the demon Banasuran on Vijayadasami, the last day of Navarathiri festival.