Pancharama Kshetras in Bhimavaram of West Godavari district. Many believe that Chalukaya Bheema constructed it. People also believe that Lord Chandra installed the of the temple. A tinge of modernity becomes conspicuous due to the paintings and sculptures.Temple Bhimavaram (Someswara Temple) is one of the
- What is the history of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- What is the significance of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- What are the timings of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- Which festivals are celebrated at Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- How to reach Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- Where to stay near Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
- What are some places to visit near Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
What is the history of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
The history of the Somarama Temple Bhimavaram is that according to beliefs, during Tarakasura vadha, the Shivalingam which was present on the throat of Tarakasura, a powerful asura, was divided into five pieces. The Pancharama Kshetras are present on the place where the five pieces fell.
There are two famous legends about the. The legend says that, the Shivalinga was owned by Rakshasa King Tarakasura and he was so powerful that no one could win over him due to the power of Shivalinga.
Lord Kumara Swamy used his powers (Sakthi Ayudha) to kill Tarakasura into pieces but failed as they reunited again and again. On the guidance of Lord Sriraman Narayana who informed him to break the Shiva lingam worn by Tarakusura into pieces first and then place them in five different places forming the sacred temples (PancharamaKshetras).
Lord Chandra installed Shivalinga in Bhimavaram temple and hence the name SomeshwaraSwamy.
Another legend says that, Lord Shiva when destroyed Tripura’s during ‘Tripura Samharam’, all that was left was a Shivalingam in the throat of Lord of Tripuras was broken into five pieces and installed for worship in five different places as Pancharama Kshetras.
What is the significance of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
Here is the significance of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram:
- The Pancharama Kshetras are: Amararama at Amaravati, Guntur Draksharama at Draksharama, East Godavari Somarama at Bhimavaram, West Godavari Ksheerarama at Palakol, West Godavari Bhimarama at Samarlakota, East Godavari.
- Within the premises on to the left side of the entrance lie the shrines of Lord Hanuman, Lord Sriram, Lord Kumaraswamy and Navagrahas in a hall. On to the right is an open hall with a huge statue of Nandi.
- One of the most special features of this temple is that the color of the Shivalingam will change its color regarding the lunar aspects, the shape of the illuminated (sunlit) portion of the Moon. And hence during Pournami (full moon days), the color of the Shivalingam will be in white and during Amavasya (dark nights), the color of the lingam will be black.
- Other deities are Goddess Adilakshmi, Lord Anjaneya Swamy, Lord Kumara Swamy, Sun God, Lord Ganesha, Navagraha and Nandi. The Pushkarani (temple tank) of Somarama Temple is Soma Gundam Pushkarani.
What are the timings of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
Here are the timings of Somarama Temple Bhimavaram:
|Morning Darshan||5 AM||11:00 AM|
|Evening Darshan||4:00 PM||8:00 PM|
Which festivals are celebrated at Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Somarama Temple Bhimavaram are:
- Maha Shivaratri is a foremost festivals taking place in the months of February/March.
- Sarannavarathri is another grand event that takes place during the months of September/October.
How to reach Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
Here’s how to reach Somarama Temple Bhimavaram:
- Road: The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) runs buses frequently from Palakollu, Rajahmundry as well as Vijayawada.
- Air: The nearest airport is Rajahmudry or Vijaywada from where one can avail regular flights.
- Rail: Also, the temple is 2km away from Bhimavaram railway station.
Where to stay near Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
One can stay at ‘Visiv Stay’. This lodge is in Bhimavaram. It offers polished, sophisticated and a visual pleasure to its guests. The rooms are neat and are replete with all basic amenities.
What are some places to visit near Somarama Temple Bhimavaram?
Some of the places one can visit near Somarama Temple Bhimavaram are:
- Dwaraka Tirumala is popular for Chinna Tirupati Temple, a Lord Venkateshwara Temple on the top of the Seshachala Hill.
- Dindi is about 80 kms from Rajahmundry and has a village with virgin backwaters, lakes, lagoons and rivulets around it.
- Pithapuram and Draksharamam are two pilgrimage centres that people usually visit together with Kakinda as the base town for a stay.
- The Bhadrachalam Temple Seetaramachandra Swamy temple is a 17th Century Lord Rama temple and is another important pilgrimage centre.