Saraswati Puja is considered to be the most auspicious puja of Indian culture. Goddess Saraswati is considered to be the goddess of knowledge. Goddess Saraswati is considered to be the sign of purity and peace. She is represented as a woman in white, who is robed in white. This puja plays a very vital role in India’s culture of respect to learning. Saraswati Puja is celebrated on the waxing moon which is a symbol of beginning of spring. In the eastern India this puja is considered to be very common. This puja is an educational celebration. Goddess Saraswati is always seen as sitting on a lotus flower or riding a swan. She is considered as the tribute to power, confidence and knowledge. On this day all the educational institutes worship the Goddess with lots of happiness. This puja is considered to be an indication of spring. Saraswati puja is also known as vasant panchami. This day is considered to be very auspicious for all the students. Vasant Panchami is also considered as a very auspicious day to begin new work, to get married or to perform housewarming party. Yellow color holds a great significance on this day. Goddess Saraswati is considered as the water deity and has purifying powers. The festivities that accompany Saraswati puja is a part of the social celebrations.
Who should perform Saraswati Puja?
- Goddess Saraswati is considered as the purity of knowledge.Saraswati puja is performed by the devotees to gain success in the competitions and examinations. It is specially performed by the students to enhance all the skills and talents. Performing this puja also sharpens the memory power and improves communication skills.
- Devotees perform this puja to enhance creative skills in creative field such as dance, drama, graphics designing, art, music and so on. People who want to develop creativity, confidence and improve speech or writing skills can perform this puja. This puja can also be performed by professionals to gain success and upgrading their professional talents.
Benefits of doing Saraswati Puja
- There are many benefits from Saraswati puja. The main benefit is that one gets bestows blessings from Goddess Saraswati. This puja helps in gaining appropriate knowledge and wisdom in one’s life. This puja fills one’s life with lots of positivity and helps to remove negativity.
- It helps to provide strength and empowerment in an individual’s life. This puja helps in fulfilling one’s life with knowledge and wisdom.It vanishes all the darkness in an individual’s path. This puja helps in gaining knowledge and wisdom for having a successful life.
- With the help of this puja the thinking level of an individual is uplifted. A person becomes more talented and skilled, one is blessed with knowledge and wisdom. After performing this puja one can gain purity of mind.
When should I perform Saraswati Puja?
- Devotees worship Goddess Saraswati on Vasant Panchami day and it is the day which is specially dedicated to the Goddess. Vasant Panchami is also known as Saraswati Panchami and Shri Panchami.
- The day of Vasant Panchami is decided on the basis of Purvahna Kala. It is the time between the sunrise and the midday. Vasant Panchami can also fall on the Chaturthi Tithi. Vasant Panchami is also considered as Abujha day by many of the astrologers.
- There is no special time to perform the Saraswati puja and it is done according to the Panchami Tithi. It is very important to perform the Saraswati puja within Panchami Tithi as it doesn’t prevail whole of the day. This puja is performed eighth day of Navratri and on the Mahanavami day the books and tools are not touched.
How to perform Saraswati Puja?
- The process of Saraswati puja starts with a early morning bath of the devotee. This bathing water is considered to be medicinal as it contains neem and tulsi leaves in it. The paste of turmeric powder is applied to the body of devotee who perform the puja before the early morning bath.
- After the bath it is considered to be very important to wear white or yellow clothes. The place where the puja will be performed should be kept neat and tidy. The next step is to place the idol of Goddess Saraswati. The area where the idol should be placed should be kept clean.
- The idol should be placed and that place should be decorated with garlands and flowers.One should place the books and musical instrumental near the idol. Than the placing of kalash takes place.
- The kalash should be filled with water and at the edges of the kalash mango leaves should be kept. Durva grass and betel nut should be kept on the top of kalash along with flower.
- It is considered very important to keep the idol of Lord Ganesh besides the Goddess Saraswati. Then there should be the proper and correct reciting of the mantras.
- Than the last step is to light the lamps and agarbatti.On the next day the idol of Goddess Saraswati should be immersed into water.
Materials required for Saraswati Puja
The materials required in Saraswati puja are: Mango leaves, Ghee, Dhoop, Agarbatti, Plate, Match Box, Saffron, Kumkum , Coconut, Rose water, Ganga Jal, Betel Leaf, Kapur, gulal, Plastic container, turmeric powder, Jaggery, Scent, Lotus, Flowers; especially yellow flowers like Marigold, Idol of goddess Saraswati, Sandal, Red Holy Powder, Coins, Kamal gatte, Sindoor, clean red cloth., Piper Betle, Sweets, Nelumbo Nucifera, Aasan Made by Wool, Rice, Lamps, Cotton Wicks, Fruits, Garland of Marigold Flowers, Kalash, Bell, Panchamrit, etc.
Cost of performing Saraswati Puja
Saraswati Puja that is performed on the panchami tithi with all the with the prescribed materials ranges from Rs. 2000 to Rs. 4000. One can also consult the expert regarding the technique and procedure to perform the particular puja.