Rudrabhishek – For Getting Free From All Evils
- 1 Rudrabhishek – For Getting Free From All Evils
The Rudrabhishek is one of the most popular Vedic Hindu Rituals performed to appease the God of the Gods, Lord Shiva. This Pooja is performed to worship Lord Shiva in one of his most popular Rudra form. In the pooja, the 108 names of Lord Shiva are chanted. This ritual is one of the most widespread one across all Shiva Temples. It is of special importance at the sites of the major Shiva Lingas (mainly the ones in Ujjain, Nashik, Omkareshwar, Somnath, Bhima Shankara and Rameshwaram).
The Pooja is one that is considered to be a major means of removing the evils and it is hailed by the Vedic scriptures. The ritual helps the performer in attaining all the desires and awards all-round material prosperity. It can be performed at temples as well as at the home with a Brahman in front of a Shiva Linga.
Who should perform Rudrabhishek
- A person who wants to get rid of the evil forces in life or the possible dangers to life.
- Apart from this, it can also be performed by anyone who wants to gain prosperity and happiness, success in business and also for the harmony in the personal relationships.
- A person who wants to get rid of any health issues.
- Someone who wants peace at home or as a part of the Gruh Shanti Pooja.
Rudrabhishek Puja Benefits
- It is believed to ward off all the possible evils or heath related and financial dangers from the life of a person. The ritual is helpful in gaining prosperity in career and job as well.
- It helps disposing of any evil forces or effects of bad deeds.
- The Sri Rudram that is recited during the ritual can also identify the 346 desires of human beings, which can be fulfilled to have a peaceful daily life.
- The Pooja has been also repeatedly prescribed as this the ultimate remedy for many planetary Doshas.
When should I perform Rudrabhishek Puja – Muhurat
Rudrabhishek can be performed on a Monday or at the occasion of Shiva Ratri when Lord Shiva is worshiped everywhere. These days are considered highly auspicious for performing the Abhishek. However, it is believed that the Abhishek can be performed at any time after considering the auspicious Muhurat on the day.
It can also be performed on important occasions such as Graha Pravesh, Anniversaries or Birthdays.
How to perform Rudrabhishek Puja – Puja Vidhi
- The Abhishek begins by bathing the Linga with all the ingredients of the ritual including milk, yogurt, butter, honey and decorating the Shiva Linga with Bel Leaves, flowers and Rudraksha.
- Next, the priests perform the Rudra Abhishek with the Rudraksha beads by reciting the Laghunyasa followed by the Shivopasana mantra and then the 108 names of Lord Shiva are recited.
- The Sri Rudram, which is a part of chapter 16 and 18 of the Yajur Veda, is then recited.
- During the pooja, everybody needs to stay quiet and hear the shlokas and mantra.
- During the offerings, the priests chant the Sri Rudram with the 108 names of Lord Shiva. Everybody chants “Om Namah Shivay” in sets of 108 and meditates on Shiva.
- Chanting the Sri Rudram; especially if chanted in rhythm, purifies entire atmosphere and wipes out all the sins.
Rudrabhishek Puja Samagri List
The most important 11 ingredients of the ritual are:
- Ashes/Bhasma Powder/Vivudhi
- Fruit Juices
- Sandalwood Powder
- Water, and
These ingredients are customarily poured over the Shiva Linga and are believed to pacifying the hot and fiery Lord Shiva. This helps in invoking the Lord’s blessings. Thus, the Rudrabhishek is considered complete only after the mentioned offerings are made to Lord Shiva.
Additionally people employ many ingredients for the Pooja including a variety of fruits, flowers and all other things that are favorites of Lord Shiva.
Where to perform Rudrabhishek
It can be performed in front of an established Shiva Linga in a temple or at the home. The Linga should be placed in a manner so that its Yoni faces North and the performer of the ritual should look East. Performer should sit on an Asana of Kusha, which helps him/her, meditate in the most proper manner.
Rudrabhishek Puja Cost
If the Abhishek is to be performed at a temple then people need to pay the Dakshina to the Pandit or the participation fees at the temple. While performing it at home, the total cost of the ingredients and the dakshina to the Pandit will hardly exceed Rs. 10,000/-. The cost of the ingredients is between Rs. 2000/- to Rs. 5000/-. The dakshina to the priest depends on the person’s wish.