Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath, or Omkareshwar Pith is an ancient Hindu temple present in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. It houses the deities Kedarnath and Madmaheshwar during winters (November- April), when the temples of Kedarnath and Madmaheshwar remain closed. It is present at an elevation of 1300 metres.
Ukhimath or Okhimath has many other ancient temples dedicated to several Gods and Goddesses such as Usha, Shiva, Aniruddha, Parvati and Mandhata. Mainly the head priests of Kedarnath known as Rawals live in the town. It is a part of the Char Dham Yatra tour destinations within Uttarakhand.
- What is the history of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- What is the significance of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- What are the timings of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- What are the festivals celebrated at Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- How to reach Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- Where to stay near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
- What are some places to visit near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
What is the history of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
According to history of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath, the wedding of Usha (Daughter of Vanasur) and Anirudh (Grandson of Lord Krishna) took place here. Also, Ukhimath derives its name from the name of Usha. As per another legend, Mandhata performed penance here for 12 years by standing on a single leg.
Hence, at the end of his penance Lord Shiva appeared before him in the form of Omkar. Therefore, the temple is popular as ‘Omkareshwar Temple’.
What is the significance of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
The significance of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath is that it serves as a home for Lord Kedarnath and Madmaheshwar when their original abodes have extremely cold atmosphere during winters. The idols of the deities are brought to Omkareshwar Temple after diwali, and priests worship them for six months.
These dieties are taken back in a procession to their original temples in mid May. At the temple, there is also a stone statue of Mandhata, who was an emperor and an ancestor of Lord Ram. Ukhimath can also act as a center for visiting different places such as Madhmaheshwar (Second kedar), Tungnath ji (Third kedar) and Deoria Tal(natural fresh water lake).
What are the timings of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
Here are the timings of Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath:
|Morning||5 AM||12 PM|
|Evening||2 PM||9 PM|
What are the festivals celebrated at Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath are:
- Madmaheshwar Mela: It is a three-day long festival which is celebrated when the idol of Lord Madmaheshwar arrives in the Omkareshwar temple. School students of Uttarakhand present entertaining performances and set up stalls during the mela.
How to reach Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
Here’s how to reach Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath, a destination of the Char Dham Yatra are:
- Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, at a distance of 195 Km.
- Train: The nearest railway station is Rishikesh, at a distance of 175 Km.
- Road: Omkareshwar temple is present on the Gopeshwar-Mandal road, at a distance of 2 Km from Ukhimath taxi stand.
Where to stay near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
Some of the places where one can stay near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath are:
- Shri Hanumant Inn and Resorts: The resort offers its guests a luxury staying experience in its well built comfortable accomodation. Moreover, the resort is situated between Ukhimath & Chopta. With its super specialized personal services, the resort can arrange number of adventure activities like trekking as well as hiking easily, which tourists generally undertake during the Char Dham Yatra.
- Hotel Snow View: The resort is known for its pristine environment and warm reception and offers all basic and semi-deluxe facilities such as comfortable and stylish accommodation, delicious food in roof top restaurant, parking facility, travel assistance and much more such personalized services with warm hospitality to make the stay memorable for the tourists.
- GMVN Tourist Rest House: The hotel offers gracious accommodation, delicious food, parking, travel assistance as well as many more thoughtful services. The hotel is an also ideal choice for all classes of tourists who wish to find a budget hotel with descent facilities and good service with warm hospitality.
What are some places to visit near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimath?
Some of the places to visit near Omkareshwar Temple Ukhimatha are:
- Madhyamaheshwar: The temple is for Lord Shiva and surrounded by Himalayan ranges on all the 4 sides. Also, the architecture of the temple is of Northern Indian style. Moreover, it contains a navel-shaped shiva lingam made of black stone in the sanctum. There are two other smaller shrines, one for Shiva’s consort Parvati while the other is for the Ardhanarishwara, a half-Shiva half-Parvati image.
- Kedarnath Temple: It is a Hindu temple in honour of Lord Shiva. It is present in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand near Mandakini river. This temple is open from april-november due to extreme weather conditions during the winters. The present structure is on a site adjacent to where Pandavas built the original temple. Moreover, in front of the temple, directly opposite to the inner shrine, is a Nandi statue consisting of rock. Madhyamaheshwar temple and Kedarnath Temple are also a part of the Char Dham Yatra Destinations within Uttarakhand.