Mangalagiri is one of the 8 Mahakshetrams where Lord Vishnu manifested himself. Originally this place was popular as Thotadri where Devi Lakshmi did tapasya. During Vijayanagara Kingdom, this place was also famous as Mangala Nilayam. Mangalagiri Temple is a sacred place where a devout person can find peace and bliss.
There are three Narasimha Swamy temples in Mangalagiri -the Panakala Narasimha Swamy on the hill, the Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy at the foot of the and the Gandala Narasimha Swamy at the top of the hill.
- What is the history of Mangalagiri Temple?
- What is the significance of Mangalagiri Temple?
- What are the timings of Mangalagiri Temple?
- What are the festivals celebrated at Mangalagiri Temple?
- How to reach Mangalagiri Temple?
- Where to stay near Mangalagiri Temple?
- What are some places to visit near Mangalagiri Temple?
What is the history of Mangalagiri Temple?
According to the history of Mangalagiri Temple, a very intriguing story revolves around how the mountain came into existence. The hill looks like an elephant in shape. Hrasva Srungi, the son of the king Pariyatra, visited all holy places for the purpose of regaining normal bodily stature.
He finally came to Mangalagiri and stayed there for three years to fulfil his penance. His father came to take him back home but he to serve Lord Vishnu for eternity took the shape of an elephant and remained at the place. Devotees also believe that all the Devas asked him to stay at the place so that he can attain Moksha and salvation in his life.
What is the significance of Mangalagiri Temple?
Here is the significance of Mangalagiri Temple:
- Sri Channapragada Balaramadasu constructed the steps to the Mangalagiri Temple in 1890.
- On the right side of the steps to reach the Mangalagiri Temple, there lies a stone inscription by Sri Krishnadeva Raya of Vijayanagar and further up, one can see the foot prints of Mahaprabhu Chaitanya.
- A temple of Lord Panakala Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy is there at midway of the steps where there is only the face with the mouth widely open.
- Behind the Mangalagiri Temple there is the abode of Sri Lakshmi, to the west of which there is a tunnel that, according to beliefs, can lead you to the great Vundavalli caves on the banks of the Krishna.
- Panakala Narasimha Swamy is the God Who Drinks Panakam.
- Also, the god is self-existent here.
- The God takes jaggery water as an offering served by a conch. When the Jaggery water is actually poured into the mouth of the Lord, a gargling sound is there as if the Lord is actually drinking it. The sound becomes shriller and shriller when the Lord is drinking.
What are the timings of Mangalagiri Temple?
Here are the timings of Manglalagiri Temple:
|Open||7 am||8:30 pm|
|morning Archana||7:00 a.m||7:30 a.m.|
|Panakam and seva darshan||7:30 a.m||1:00 p.m.|
What are the festivals celebrated at Mangalagiri Temple?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Mangalagiri Temple are:
- The Panakala Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Brahmothsavam is the grand annual festival. Devotees believe that Dharmaraja started the celebration at the behest of Lord Krishna. The celebrations take place for 11 days during the months of February-March.
- Srirama Navami, Hanumajayanthi, Narasimhajayanthi, Vaikunta Ekadasi, and Mahasivarathri are other festivals. On Mahasivarathri, the Lord goes on a procession on a small chariot.
- Further, the Phalguna Suddha Purnima that happens on Chaturdasi, commences the marriage of Santha Narasimha Swamy, and Sridevi and Bhoodevi.
How to reach Mangalagiri Temple?
Here’s how to reach Mangalagiri Temple:
- Air: the nearest airport is Vijayawada airport. It is also connected by Hyderabad and Vishakapatnam.
- Rail: Vijayawada also connects with all major cities in India so the rail route is frequently availed.
- Road: Vijaywada also connects well with Madras, Nellore, Vizag and other cities.
Where to stay near Mangalagiri Temple?
Some of the places where one can stay near Mangalagiri Temple are:
- Fortune Murali Park Hotel- this hotel is along the banks of the Krishna River and overlooks the Indrakiladri Hills. Fortune Murali Park Hotel is three kilometers from the Vijayawada Railway Station and 20km from the airport.
- The Gateway Hotel, M.G.Road is another grand place to check in. It has an welcoming atmosphere with luxurious decorum.
What are some places to visit near Mangalagiri Temple?
Some of the places one can visit near Mangalagiri Temple are:
- Kanaka Durga Temple is a siginificant temple in Vijayawada. On Friday evenings, the priests dress the goddess in silken finery.
- At Amararama Temple, Lord Shiva is also worshipped as Amaralingeswara Swamy or Amareswara Swamy, along with his consort Bala Chamundika. This Temple along with the Draksharama Temple in Draksharamam, Ksheerarama Temple in Palakol, Somarama Temple in Bhimavaram and the Kumararama Temple in Samalkota, forms the holy Pancharama Kshetram.
- The Undavalli Caves are a great architecture of cave complex. A cluster of 64 caves of black rock make the place truly magnificient. They also hold lovely figurines made of monolithic black granite rock. Moreover, the most notable is the stunning image of a reclining Vishnu.