If you really wish to visit a religious place this summer, trying going to Mahamaya Temple. Mahamaya Temple is located in Ratanpur in Chattisgarh. This temple falls in Bilaspur district. Mahamaya Temple is located aside lakes and has a marvellous panorama. This temple is culturally rich and has a great architectural work done all over it. Mahamaya Temple is located in Ratanpur which is located in Chattisgarh. Legends say that this temple was built in the 12th-13th century. Mahamaya Temple is dedicated to the Goddess Mahamaya. This temple enshrines an amazing dual idol of Goddess Mahamaya. The front image is of Mahishasurmardini and a rear statue of Saraswati which is supported by 16 columns.
Many archeologists and historians had their eyes on Mahamaya Temple because of its beautiful architectural work. Apart from being surrounded by lush green hills and ponds, Ratanpur town is crowded by devotees twice a year. People come here during Navratra to take blessings from their beloved goddess: Goddess Mahamaya Devi.
Mahamaya Temple in 25km away from the city of Bilaspur located in Chattisgarh. It is located on the Bilaspur-Ambikapur state highway. The Mandir has ancillary temples, palaces, domes and forts, each having a story behind it.
Because of its beauty one should definitely take the camera with themselves to capture the moment. The Temple is beautifully built which is the main cause of tourist attraction. The red stones by which this Temple is constructed makes it more beautiful. This temple is constructed on 16 columns and has various beautiful ponds around it. One should come here as this scenario helps in relaxing and rejuvenates the mind.
Mahamaya Temple History
- Mahamaya Temple is dedicated to Goddess Mahamaya which has a dual statue of Goddess Lakshmi and Saraswati.
- This temple was built in 12th-13th century under the reign of Kalchuri King Ratandev I. Apart being the king, Kalchuri King Ratnadev I was also the founder of Haihaiyavansi kingdom.
- Legends say that the king built the temple at the spot where he had darshan of council of Goddess Kali. Maha Kali, Maha Saraswati and Maha Lakshmi were earlier worshipped here.
- Within the campus one can easily find Lord Shiva’s and Hanuman’s temple. Ratanpur state traditionally has Mahamaya as their Kuldevi. Recently architectural department renovated the temple.
- Vikram Samvat built this temple in 1552 and one can also find that this place is beautifully surrounded by many ponds which help in adding its beauty. This temple was beautifully built with red stones by Kalchuri King Ratandev who was the king at that time.
Significance of the Mahamaya Temple
- The style in which Mahamaya Temple is built is known as Nagara style of Architecture. This temple is facing North and is located beside a huge water tank.
- The scores of ancillary temples, palaces, forts and domes can now be seen which was once housed ad templed by the royal house of Ratanpur Kingdom.
- We can also find the temple of Kantideval which is considered to be the oldest. It is believed that this temple was built by a spartan named Santosh Giri in 1039.
- This temple has 4 gates and has beautiful carvings. It has 18-inch thick boundary wall surrounding it from all the four sides. Legends say that this temple was built in the 12th century.
- Mahamaya Temple is all together supported by 16 stone columns. The idols which have been kept here has been taken from rundown or broken temple of the earlier century. Some of them were also taken from Jain Temples.
- There are many smaller statues in the campus of Gods and Goddesses like Lord Vishnu, Mahakali, Bhadrakali, Lord Hanuman, Surya Dev, Lord Shiva and Lord Bhairav. Legend says that the first Puja and Abhishek were done in this temple by the Kalinga King.
- Around the temple, there are many other temples which are equally rich in history and architecture. They are named as Mahamrityunjaya Panchmukhee Shiv Mandir and Kanthi Dewal. There is another important temple known as Panchmukhee Shiv Mandir which is believed to be the origin of Mahamaya Temple. This temple is extremely magnificent and is made of red stone.
- Inside a temple one can find Kanthi Dewal temple and the temple main pond is the splendid dual statues of Goddess Mahamaya. The front image is called Mahishasurmardini and the behind statue is believed to be that of Goddess Saraswati. But if looked casually then the rear image are often overlooked. On behalf of all the devotees, Jyoti Kalashas are lit in various halls by the Temple Trust.
Mahamaya Temple Timings
- The Darshan in Mahamaya Temple starts from 6 am to 8:30 pm everyday. During normal days, it does not take more than half an hour in darshan but it takes more time during Navratra. This is because there are a large number of devotees during Navratri.
- Devotees do not need to pay any amount of money for darshan. This is free of cost. Bhoj is offered at 12 pm for half an hour. So during this time devotees, entry is strictly prohibited.
- If a person visits this temple, he/she needs to take ample time with them. Apart from darshan, one can also take part in special events which are conducted by the Trust. During Navratra, Darshan is opened till 12 am.
- After you buy puja samagri, go to the free shoe care. This is run by the Trust. Before going for darshan you should remove your shoe. The Trust will provide you a token for the set of shoes you gave. The caretaker will take care of your shoes till you come back from Darshan.
- There is water tap present in the campus which provides water to the devotees. The devotees need to clean their mouth, face, hand and feet before entering the Mahamaya Temple. Though this ritual is not cmpulsory, but devotees follow it for the sake of cleanliness of the temple campus.
- After this, you need to stand in the qeue for Darshan. It may take some time depending on the day you visited the temple. It takes a lot of time for darshan during Navratra. People from various parts of India come here on Navratra to see Jyotikalash being lit to please the Goddess Mahamaya.
- Temple Kalbhairava is considered to be the guardian temple. People believe that those who visit Mahamaya Temple should also visit Kalbhairava Temple to complete their pilgrimage.
Festivals celebrated in Mahamaya Temple
- Chaitra Navratri– According to the Hindu Calender, Chaitra Navratri is celebrated on the first day of the calender. This festival is celebrated from 1st to 9th day of Chaitra month Shukla Paksh. The 9th day is celebrated as Ram Navami which is Lord Ram’s birthday.
- Vasanta Navratri– This festival is celebrated in Autum this is why it is called Vasant Navratri. Vasant means Autum in Hindi. Vasant Navratri usually falls in the month of April but it may differ according to the Hindu Calender.
- Maha Navratri– This festival is very famous and this is why it is celebrated across India. Maha Navratri is celebrated equally important as other festivals in Chhattisgarh. There is a lot of crowd in temples on this festival. People come from various parts to offer prayer.
How to reach- Road, Rail and Air
- By Air– The nearest is in Raipur which connects all the major cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Nagpur. This place is connected with international flight services.
- By Rail– Bilaspur is a zonal headquarters of the Indian Railway as a result of which it can be suitably connected with trains too.
- By Road– After taking a train till Bilaspur one can easily take a taxi or bus till Ratanpur. The taxi can easily take you inside the temple campus which is half a kilometre away from the highway.
Where to stay
Apart from this, one can also look for hotels to stay. There are many private organizations who provide accommodation to the devotees. These private organization has a very nominal charge. They have additional facilities like Homely food, the internet and hygienic surrounding which is suitable for stay. One can easily find hotels near Temple at a very reasonable price.
Where to eat
The Temple provides food to its devotees. They are free of cost and all the expenses incurred are borne by the Trustees. Once the daily Puja is over, devotees are allowed to move for food.
Apart from the prasad provided in the temple, one can also have food from hotels outside the campus. These hotels provide clean and hygienic food. There are various other places to eat food. There are many hotels and cafe which provide food keeping the taste and needs of the devotees.
- Ram Tekri Temple-Ram Tekri Temple is a very popular spot for tourists. It is a perfect place to visit with your family. This place is very good for recreation as it will fill you with spirits of adventure. There are various popular spots which will help you in making memories. Ram Tekri Temple is not only a place for sight seeing but also helps you in rejuvenating. One should definitely carry his/her camera when travelling to this place.
- Maa Mahamaya Devi Temple– This is another important tourist destination in Ratanpur. People come all over India to visit this place. One should definitely visit this place while visiting Ratanpur. This temple has a dual statue of Goddess Mahamaya. This temple has a very beautiful architectural work and is the most religious celebrated temple.
- Kanthi Dewal Temple: This temple is octagonal in shape. It is said that Kanthi Dewal Temple is a school of Hindu and Moghul architecture. All its walls are made of red stone and decorated by sculptures. The important sculpture which you can find here is of a lady feeding a child, Shaal Bhanjika, a Kalchuri king and Lingodhbhava Shiva. Inside the temple, there is Shiv Lingam which is considered as Source of Divine Energy according to the Hindu Dharma.Apart from Ram Tekri Temple, Kanthi Dewal Temple and Maa Mahamaya Devi Temple, there are many other temples which can be visited being in Ratanpur. There are many tourist destination that is visited when travelled to Ratanpur. Apart from temples, there are many other places that can be visited here. There are places like Achankmar Wildlife Sanctuary, Naya Lake Semartal, Shri Hanuman Ji Temple, Sunga Lake, Sagar Lake and many more.This temple has a lot of reasons to be on the bucket list of travellers. Mahamaya Temple of Ratanpur has all those things which a person needs while travelling a place. Mahamaya Temple is culture as well as architecture. It is surrounded by ponds which add beauty. There are other temples in the campus because of which a devotee need not go too far. The Temple Trust provide world class accommodation as well as food.