Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple Video
[av_video src=’https://youtu.be/UFxc8o4qmSw’ format=’16-9′ width=’16’ height=’9′]
Located in the West Godavari district of Andhra, Palakollu is a place famous for its grand temple of Lord Shiva that is considered to be one of the Pancharama temples. This temple is called Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy temple profoundly. The presiding deity here is Lord Shiva whose form was established by Lord Vishnu. Locally this temple is also known as Pedda Gopuram.
History of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
The temple was constructed during the reign of Chalukya Bhima of Chalukya dynasty in the 9th century. Sri Velupathi designed it’s Prakara during the 10th century. The architecture is a clear reflection of the art practised during the Chalukya dynasty reigns. During the 14th century, the Gopuram was built by Sri Alladu Reddy. During the 17th century, Kalyana mantapam (choultry) and Ashtha Bhuja Lakshmi Narayanaswamy alaya were constructed.
Significance of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
- It is known and revered that the Shivalingam at Ksheerarama temple is the tallest one and found to be of a very unique milky white in color.
- The shiva lingam which is known moola virat can be seen from all four sides of the sanctum sanctorum or garbha griha. In addition several other gods like the Sun God, Devi Parvati and Lakshmi, Veera Bhadra, Kanaka Durga, Nataraja, Shankara, Radha Krishna can also be viewed from all four sides.
- Locally there is a saying that staying for a day at Ksheerama is equal to staying at Varanasi.
- The temple has 72 pillars made of black stones.
- The mythology of the temple was that during Tarakasura vadha, it is said that the Shivalingam which was present on the throat of Tarakasura, a powerful asura, was divided into five pieces.
Timings of Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
- Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple remains open from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm throughout the whole week.
How to reach Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
- By road: buses are frequently available from all parts of Andhra Pradesh moving towards Bhimavaram to Palakollu.
- By rail: trains are very much available on a regular basis from Vijaywada railway junction.
- By airport: nearest aiport is Vijawada from where regular flights are available.
Hotels nearby Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
- Palavalli Boutique Resorts which is 12km from Palakollu town centre has a great location where guests enjoy their peace and solitude.
- Falcon Nest Hotel behind the coastal city centre at Bhimavaram is a grand place to check in.
Places nearby Palakollu Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy Temple
- Sri Someswara Temple which is 117 km from Vijaywada is one of the Pancharama Kshetras where one can visit to offer prayers to the Lord. It is said that the main Lingam was installed by Lord Chandra.
- Sri Venkateswara Swamy Temple is another pilgrim place to visit during this trip. It is located on the top of the Seshachala hill in Tirumala. The self-manifested Idol of the Lord of the temple was founded by saint Dwaraka .
- Shri Lingaraj Temple is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to lord Harihara, a form of lord Shiva and is one of the oldest and largest temples in Bhubaneswar, the capital of the East Indian state of Odisha (formerly Orissa). The temple is the most prominent landmark of the Bhubaneswar city.