The religious center of Sripuram, famous Golden Temple Vellore is located among the small green mountains in an area called Malaikodi at Vellore city in Tamil Nadu state, India. It is located at the south part of Vellore city, at the place of Tirumalaikodi. Located 8km south of the city of Vellore at Thirumalaikodi, the golden temple’s chief deity is ‘Sri Lakshmi Narayani’ where devotees from all religions are welcome to visit the temple and have darshan. The Sri Lakshmi Narayani temple inside Sripuram held its consecration (maha kumbhabhishekam) on 24 August 2007.
It is a sight to behold. Constructed by Sri Narayani Peedam and headed by Sri Sakthi Amma, a spiritual leader, the grand temple boasts of spectacular art work.
History of Golden Temple Vellore
The Sripuram Golden Temple is situated in 100 acres of lush landscape in the middle of the star-shaped path so that it absorbs more energy from nature, which creates an inner peace and relaxation to the devotees. Devotees walking through star-path were blessed to read the messages of truth and justice, which allows them to develop and turn into powerful creatures. The ultimate goal is to change in people.
Sripuram Golden Temple was built in a period of 7 years which is very short time. The Golden temple was inaugurated August 24, 2007 consecration ceremony was witnessed by thousands of devotees. The golden temple has attracted thousands of devotees. The entire temple was covered with 9 to 15 layers of gold foil. The temple is decorated with sculptures of the human person, richly decorated with columns and a roof.
Significance of Golden Temple Vellore
- The significance characteristics of Sripuram are temple of Mahalakshmi or temple of Lakshmi Narayan who is Ardha Mandapam and Vimanam is coated with pure gold including both interior as well as exterior.
- Renowned temple of Sri Lakshmi, prevalently called Golden temple, is recently constructed.
- It has been designed by Vellore-based Sri Narayani Peedam, advancing by religious head Sri Sakthi Amma also known as Narayani Amma. The forehead with gold protecting has complex designs and art forms in silver.
- The illumination is organized in such a way that the forehead papers even during evening. The development of the forehead was finished on Aug 24, 2007. More than 1500 kg of gold was used to build this forehead.
- Every individual details was personally created, such as transforming the gold sections into gold foils and then increasing on the gold foils on birdwatcher.
- Sripuram design symbolizes a star-shaped path(Sri chakra), in the center of the lushgreen surroundings, with a duration of over 1.8 km.
- Sahasra deepam or 1008 lamps is a sacred installation here.
- Messages by ‘Amma’ have been laid out along the path to the temple with messages from the Gita, Bible and Quran.
Timings of Golden Temple Vellore
- The temple opens day at 4.00 AM and complete at 8.00 PM.
- Abishekam starts from 4.00 AM to 8.00 AM.
- General Dharshan starts from 8.00 AM to 8.00 PM.
- Aarthi Seva starts from 6.00 PM to 7.00 PM.
How to reach Golden Temple Vellore
- By air: airports of Bangalore and Chennai are the nearest airports with regular flights.
- By rail: The nearest railway station is Vellore katpadi Jn railway station, which is only 12 km distance from Sripuram.
- By road: there are many buses run from Bangalore, Chennai, Tirupati and some other main cities. Having reached at Vellore city new bus terminal , many buses run to Sripuram and some of the town buses run from old bus stand (fort) go to Sripuram (Golden Temple).
Hotels near Golden Temple Vellore
- Hotel Gold located in the heart of the city on national highway no.1, is a renowned hotel that has a promising atmosphere and well suited accommodations.
- Hotel Khanna Fiesta at Anna Sallai , Vellore is another place to check in during your visit. It is rather popular for its complementing decor and accommodations.
- Hotel Surabi at Officer’s Lane also is reviewed to be a great place to tuck in. It has great staff and room service that has received much praise.
Places nearby Golden Temple Vellore
- Vellore Fort was built during the 16th century AD by the Aravindu Dynasty of the Vijaynagar Empire. Later the fort’s ownership passed through the various dynasties like the Marathas, Bijapur Sultans, the Carnatic Nawabs and the British. The massive ramparts and moats have made the fort a strategic location, it was also known to have Tipu Sultan’s family and the last king of Sri Lanka as prisoners during the time of the British. The fort complex contains a church, a temple and a mosque.
- Jalakandeswarar Temple is located within the Vellore fort complex and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The Temple is one of the amazing specimens of the Dravidian architecture and houses one of the most intricately carved stone pillars. The temple also has a huge 7 tiered gopuram and adorned with various intricate carvings.
- The Srilakshmi Golden Temple is also known by the name Lakshmi Narayani temple. The amazing feature of the temple is pretty evident as the whole structure is coated in gold leaf.
- Yelagiri is a small hill station in Vellore. The town is located in the middle of flowery meadows, tea estates and orchards. The various lakes and waterfalls in Yelagiri attract a huge number of tourists.