On the day of Dhantrayodashi, Dhanteras Puja is performed. As per the Hindu calendar, it falls in the month of Kartik on the thirteenth day. It represents the celebration of Maa Lakshmi. People also offer their prayers to Lord Kuber, Yama Dev and Lord Dhanvantri to seek the blessings for the fulfilling and long life. The word Dhanteras means Dhan and Trayodashi meaning wealth and the thirteenth day of the dark phase. The main purpose to perform this puja is to seek prosperity, happiness and wealth in the life of the individual. The main deity that are worshipped during the Dhanteras puja are Lakshmi and Kubera. It is believed that on this day, Goddess Lakshmi emerged from the milky ocean that was churned by Gods and Demons in order to seek the Amrut. Hence worshipping Goddess Laxmi on this day will bring wealth and prosperity in one’s life.
Dhanteras is also known as Dhanvantri Jayanti and Dhanvantari is considered as the god of medicines. It is said that he too emerged during the process of churning from the milky ocean. He is also considered as the incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Hence, this day is also very auspicious to worship Dhanvantri. People also purchase utensils, silver and gold to welcome Goddess Laxmi at their home. Devotees also make rangoli designs in order to welcome Goddess at the entrances of workplaces and houses. Naivedyam which is considered as a traditional sweet is made by mixing cow’s milk and saffron, dry coriander seeds with jaggery on this special day
Who should perform Dhanteras Puja?
Dhanteras puja is performed in order to seek the blessings of Goddess Laxmi and Lord Kuber. This puja is performed by the individual to seek wealth, health and success in the life of the individual. This puja gives the ability to increase the ability to gather wealth and improve the flow of finances. This puja helps to built both the spiritual and material wealth. If the individual wants to eradicate any type of financial issues, removing debts and provide financial stability. If the person is facing any health issues or ailments then this puja is very useful.
Benefits of doing Dhanteras Puja
- The main benefits from the Dhanteras puja are that one gains wealth, helps to eradicate the financial crisis and helps in maintaining good health of the individual. Dhanteras also helps one to recover from different diseases.
- It will also help to recover from any type of chronic diseases and other ailments of the body. This puja is very useful for the vital capability and to live a longer life.
- This puja helps to lead a successful life and the career of the individual reaches a new height. It will also attract glory and fame in the life of the individual. All the goals that are set by the individual are achieved and attract wealth in their lives.
When should I perform Dhanteras Puja?
Dhanteras is considered as first day of five days long Diwali festivities. During this day Goddess Laxmi and Lord Kubera who considered as the God of wealth is worshipped on the auspicious day of Trayodashi. The Laxmi puja is performed after two days of Dhantrayodashi during Amavasya. Lakshmi Puja on Dhanteras is done during the Pradosh Kaal which lasts for 2 hours and 24 minutes after the sunset. One should avoid choosing the Choghadiya Muhurat for performing the Dhanteras puja. The best time to perform the puja is during the Pradosh Kaal when Sthir Lagna prevails. Dhanteras puja that is performed during the Sthir Lagna is considered as the best time to perform this puja, as Lakshmiji will stay in your home forever.
How to perform Dhanteras Puja?
- The Dhanteras Puja is performed by all the women of the house after seeing the star in the evening. Men can also take part in the puja but it is optional.
- In order to perform the puja, Four-wicked diyas which contains the cotton wicks are placed on the small stool. Cowry shells are also placed along with the diyas.
- The diyas are considered as Yamdeep as they are lit to offer prayers to Lord Yamaraj. This puja is also perform to offer respect to ancestors of the house.
- The copper vessel is placed near the diyas which is filled with water. It is advised to sprinkle the water from the vessel around the diyas.
- The puja is performed using rice, roli and coin. Sweets are also offered to the Lord in order to seek the blessings.Devotees chant the mantras and do the parikrama around the diyas.
- Tilak is applied to the forehead of all the devotees and they place the diyas outside the main entrance. It is advised to keep the diyas burning during the night to honour Yama in the custom of deep daan.
Materials required for Dhanteras Puja
The materials that are required to perform the Dhanteras Puja are: Deepak/Diya made of flour dough with 4 wicks, cowry shell with a hole in it, Sacred Water and a Spoon, Flowers, Rice, Roli, Garlands for the idols, Aasan to be seated on, small copper tumbler, Coins, incense sticks, camphor and puja plate, Batasha, Dhoop, Sweets for offering, Wicks, Oil/Ghee and Matchbox, Other pooja materials can be arranged as per the customs in the family.
Cost of performing Dhanteras Puja
There are different mantras that are chanted during Dhanteras Puja that consists of Chakre Gada Haste, Namastestu Mahamaye, Shri Maha Lakshmi Namostute and Shri Pitthe Sur-Pujite Shankha mantras. The Dhanteras Yamdeep Daan Mantra is chanted while lighting the Diya at the entrance of the house for Yama. This cost of this puja might differ from place to place but it generally ranges from Rs. 2500 to Rs. 5000.