Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar is a temple in dedication to ‘Bharat Mata’ literally translating to ‘Mother India’. It is a multi-storey temple present alongside Samanvay Ashram on the banks of Ganga. It has 8 storeys, each depicting an era in Indian history, from the days of Ramayana until Indian Independence.
This temple is also a part of the Chhota Char Dham Yatra destinations within Uttarakhand, the four holy places of India.
- What is the history of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- What is the significance of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- What are the timings of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- What are the festivals celebrated at Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- How to reach Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- Where to stay near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
- What are some temples near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
What is the history of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
According to the history of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar, late Indian Prime Minister Shri Indira Gandhi inaugurated it on 15 May 1983. Vishwa Hindu Parishad was the organisation that constructed the Bharat Mata Mandir while Swami Satyamitranand Giri is the founder of this religious shrine.
Abanindranath Tagore portrayed Bharat Mata as Hindu goddess with four arms, wearing robes of saffron colour, holding a book, sheaves of rice, a mala, as well as a white cloth.
What is the significance of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
The significance of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar is that ‘Bharat Mata’ represents ‘Aryavarta’, i.e., the motherland of Hinduism as per Hindu Nationalism and also remains a symbol of the ‘vision of a unified motherland’. The temple is unique and has a huge map of India on the ground denoting the statue of Mother India.
Also, the statue indicates the Goddess of India for all the religious deities, freedom fighters and leaders. Moreover, from a height of 180 feet (at the top floor of the temple), visitors can witness the skyline of Haridwar with the mountains of Rajaji National Park.
What are the timings of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
Here are the timings of Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar:
|Morning||5 AM||12 PM|
|Evening||2 PM||9 PM|
What are the festivals celebrated at Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
Some of the festivals celebrated at Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar are:
- Independence Day: 15 August is celebrated as the Independence day all across India, as well as at the Bharat Mata Mandir. On the holiday, throughout India people celebrate with flag-hoisting ceremonies, parades as well as cultural events. Patriotic songs are also played on loud speakers and on radio channels in the country.
- Republic Day: 26 January is the Indian Republic day. Republic Day honours the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect by replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
How to reach Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
Here’s how to reach Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar:
- Air: The nearest airport is the Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, at a distance of 30 km from the temple.
- Train: The nearest railway station is Haridwar, at a distance of 7 km from the temple.
- Road: Buses for Haridwar are available from ISBT Kashmere Gate in Delhi.
Where to stay near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
Some of the places where one can stay near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar while undertaking the Char Dham Yatra are:
- Radisson Blu Haridwar: It is a five star hotel for luxurious stay for both business and leisure travellers and also provides spacious rooms, excellent food, high speed wireless internet, a steam room and a gym. It is at a distance of 13 km from Mansa Devi Temple.
- Ganga Lahiri: It is a hotel that provides pick-up from the railway station by cycle rickshaw. It also provides a peaceful and aesthetically appeasing interior along with a great view of Ganga.
- Golden Tulip Haridwar: It is a four star hotel at a 7.6 km drive from Haridwar Railway Station. This hotel boasts off excellent service in food as well as cleanliness. Moreover, guests can also avail massage therapies at the in-house massage centre.
What are some temples near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar?
Some of the temples near Bharat Mata Mandir Haridwar are:
- Chandi Devi Temple, Haridwar: Chandi Devi Temple present atop the neel parvat in Haridwar, Uttarakhand is in the honour of Goddess Chandi. The temple is also one of the panch teerth present in Haridwar. The presiding deity, Chandi or Chandika is a form of Goddess Parvati and also exists in close association with Mansa devi.
- Har ki pauri, Haridwar: Har ki pauri is a religious bathing ghat in Haridwar, Uttarakhand. Literally translating to ‘Steps of Shiva’, it is on the banks of Ganga, at the point where it leaves mountains and enters the plains.
- Mansa Devi Temple, Haridwar: Mansa Devi Temple is a Hindu temple for goddess Mansa, on top of Bilwa Parvat in Haridwar, Uttarakhand. Also popular as ‘Bilwa Tirth’, this temple is among the panch tirth within Haridwar. Moreover, ‘Mansa’ means ‘wish’ and it is a popular belief among the devotees that the goddess fulfils their wishes.
- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple: It is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand. The main diety of the temple is ‘Neelkanth’ who is a form of Lord Shiva and has a blue throat due to effect of consuming poison.
- Maya Devi Temple Haridwar: It is a Hindu Temple dedicated to Goddess Maya in Haridwar, Uttarakhand. The presiding deity, goddess Maya is an incarnation of goddess Shakti. Moreover, the temple is among the three Siddha Peethas.
These temples are also a part of the Char Dham Yatra destinations within Uttarakhand.