Baba Baidyanath Dham or Baidyanath Jyotirlinga is one of the 12 jyotirlingas in India. This temple of Shiva is in Deoghar in Santhal Parganas of Jharkhand. According to beliefs, the light of Jyotirlingam is the light of cosmos which is realized by the power of soul as a whole.
What is the history of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
According to the history of Baba Baidyanath Dham, myth and legend depicts an interesting story behind the building of the dham. During the Treta Yuga according to Shiva Purana, Ravana, the demon king wanted to have Lord Shiva’s abode in his capital permanently to make it safe from invasions.
So he meditated every day to please the Lord. The Lord found it impressive and asked him to carry his lingam to Lanka but with one condition that the journey from Mt.Kailash to Lanka should not stop in between.
And if so happened then wherever the lingam fell there it shall reside forever. The Gods fearing that this would make Ravana invincible acted against this plan. So it was after many troubles and planning that Lord Vishnu tricked Ravana and brought the Lingam back to Earth where it sat permanently. So thus the 12 jyotirlingas story begun and each had one unique legend behind its consecration.
What is the significance of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
The significance of Baba Baidyanath Dham is that the main temple is beyond historical dates. Devotees visit it since the age of Rama, the king of Ayodhya. The top contains three ascending shaped gold vessels that are compactly set, which were donated by Maharaja of Gidhaur, Raja Puran Singh.
Besides these pitcher shaped vessels, there is a ‘PUNCHSULA’ (Five knives in Tridenta shape), which is rare.
The lingam is of a cylindrical form about 5 inches in diameter and projects about 4 inches from the center of a large slab of basalt.
Devotees also believe that Shiva first turned himself into a Jyotirlinga on the night of the Aridra Nakshatra, thus the special reverence for the Jyotirlinga.
The jyotirlinga is the supreme partless reality, out of which Shiva partly appears. The jyothirlinga shrines thus are places where Shiva appeared as a fiery column of light.
There are 12 Jyotirlingas in India. 5 of the 12 Jyotirlingas are located in the state of Maharashtra. (What are those?)
What are the timings of Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Here are the timings of Baba Baidyanath Dham:
|puja ritual (Shodashopachar)||4:00 a.m.||3:30 p.m.|
|Shringar puja||6 pm onwards|
What are the festivals celebrated at Baba Baidyanth Dham?
Shrawan mela is one very famous festival celebrated at Baba Baidyanath Dham. During the month of Shrawan, lakhs of devotees throng the Baba Baidyanath temple. The Shrawan mela is very important and devotees celebrate it with much splendour and festivity. It continues thourghout the whole Shrawan month for 30 days.
How to reach Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Here’s how to reach Baba Baidyanath Dham:
- Air: Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna, located around 272 km away is the nearest airport.
- Rail: Two railway stations namely Baidyanathdham (BDME) and Deoghar (DGHR) help in the visitors with regular trains.
- Road: this area connects well by road to cities like Kolkata, Patna and Ranchi.
Where to stay near Baba Baidyanath Dham?
Some of the places where one can stay near Baba Baidyanath Dham are:
- Hotel Mahadev Palace on B.L.C Road at Castairs Town is a relaxing place suited with great amenities that attract tourists.
- Clarks Inn Amrapali which is 1.2 km from Baba Baidyanath Temple is another comfortable place to stay. It offers great multi cuisines that the guests savour. It provides the guests with much luxury and efficient services.
What are some places to visit near Baba Baidyanath Temple?
Some of the places that one can visit near Baba Baidyanath Temple are:
- Trikuta Parvata, collectively famous as Trikutachal, is a combination of three main peaks on the hill, which are at the height of around 2,470 ft. The site is at a distance of around 10 km from Deoghar on the way to Dumka.
- Naulakha Mandir is at a distance of around 2 km from Baba Baidyanath Temple. It has similar architecture of Ramakrishna Temple in Belur. The shrine encompasses beautiful idols of Radha and Krishna.
- Satsang Ashram is a holy place where the followers of Sri Sri Thakur Anukulachandra gather to worship. The Ashram also has a zoo and a museum in its complex.